Adele - 21, a review



It's been a while since I anticipated an album as much as I have this (perhaps because its release date coincides with the day after my own 21st birthday). Since the release of 2008's debut '19' (which I found admittedly somewhat sketchy and not particularly outstanding) my love affair with Adele's voice has blossomed, especially courtesy of a recent performance on the Jools Holland show.

The kind of raw intensity that her voice packs is an underestimated talent. I can say with no exaggeration that hers is perhaps the best the UK has produced since Dusty Springfield, although a certain Amy might have a claim to stake in that.

Kicking off with first single 'Rolling in the Deep' we're immediately grabbed with earnesty as a thumping drumbeat and soaring vocals tell tales of wrongdoings and anger of love lost, a theme that's set to be explored fully over the course of the album. It's certainly up there with the best of her material, and that is to say the best of the 21st century to date - the lyrics, the delivery and the venom behind it make it a force to be reckoned with.



'Rumour Has It' continues the pace but neglects the progress. Whilst the lyrics are again indefatigable, and claps and backing vocals help a bluesy influence, there's a slight residue about the song, in that it never goes anywhere. However an interesting bridge with wobbly piano saves some face. 'Turning Tables' by contrast is immediately endearing, with a minimalist approach in piano + voice = win, a formula that's worked for Hometown Glory and Make You Feel My Love in the past. Vocally she's at her peak here, and strings meander with majesty.

In 'Don't You Remember' there's further evidence of the bluesier influence on 21, an evident sign of maturity and poignancy in romance that perhaps 19 lacked. The lyrics are simple and heartfelt, mourning once more. The strings and potency packed into second single 'Set Fire to the Rain' conjure Hollywood scenes of desperation and tragedy, such is the raw emotion Adele is masterful with, and the lyrics "My hands, they were strong, but my knees were far too weak. To stand in your arms without falling to your feet" particularly stand out.

A more modest approach is tested in 'He Won't Go', more tentative and in keeping with its lyrics of uncertainty and the risk of relationships. It doesn't particularly stand out either way. On the other hand 'Take It All' is almost soul-destroying in its self-deprecation and acknowledgment of defeat - whilst predictable lyrics threaten its novelty, few singer-songwriters can boast the siren-like quality about Adkins' voice.



There's a welcome change of tone in 'I'll Be Waiting' with jazzy influences that for some reason raise memories of Primal Scream in me and brass helps to at least clear the melancholy sinuses. There's a notable correlation between Adele's best performances and the producer she's worked with on the track, and Paul Edworth appears to have the Midas touch (seen too on 'Rolling in the Deep'). However one shouldn't underestimate the mastery of Rick Rubin, whose knack for a glorious retro throwback is seen on 'One and Only', which tests Adele's gritty side to her voice fully and gloriously.

There's a slight risk in covering The Cure's 'Lovesong' because of its status for me as a brilliant song as it was. However, the stripped bare nature of this cover puts this in the same category as her 'Make You Feel My Love' rendition.

And so we reach the closer 'Someone Like You' which I'd had the pleasure of catching on Jools' show. I was blown away. The simplicity in the piano accompanied with perhaps her best vocal performance to date made an almost spiritual connection with me, a song about dwelling on past loves perhaps universally poignant for all of us. There's a slight difference in the studio version where key changes in the third line of the chorus did throw me off slightly, but once adapted to the change add to the sheer fragile beauty of the structure. It's certainly in the top 10 songs I've heard this millenium.



After the extent to which heartstrings are pulled on this venture it's almost miraculous that Adele is still standing. The sheer self-exploration and storytelling qualities of 21 are mature, truthful and bittersweet - the vocals are flawless and the arrangements haunting. This will go down as one of Britain's greatest soul albums.

Rating: 9/10
Highlights: Someone Like You, Set Fire to the Rain, One and Only, Rolling in the Deep, I'll Be Waiting, Turning Tables
Avoid: n/a

Comments

  1. I've made up my mind, don't need to think it over
    If I'm wrong I am right, don't need to look no further
    This ain't lust, I know this is love

    But if I tell the world, I'll never say enough
    'Cause it was not said to you
    And that's exactly what I need to do if I'd end up with you

    Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
    Even if it leads nowhere?
    Or would it be a waste even if I knew my place
    Should I leave it there?
    Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
    Even if it leads nowhere?

    I build myself up and fly around in circles
    Wait then as my heart drops and my back begins to tingle
    Finally could this be it?

    Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements

    Even if it leads nowhere?
    Or would it be a waste even if I knew my place
    Should I leave it there?
    Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
    Even if it leads nowhere?

    Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
    Even if it leads nowhere?
    Or would it be a waste even if I knew my place
    Should I leave it there?
    Should I give up or should I just keep on chasing pavements
    Should I just keep on chasing pavements?

    Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
    Even if it leads nowhere?
    Or would it be a waste even if I knew my place
    Should I leave it there?
    Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
    Even if it leads nowhere?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues, a review

Lady GaGa - ARTPOP

Icona Pop - Icona Pop