The Enemy - Streets in the Sky

In my first year of college I found my We'll Live and Die in these Towns CD and decided that I was in love with it again. The title track in particular was a deliciously-written and bluntly obvious motivator for me to study and break out of a rut of a town, and it made the band stand out for me from the massively-populated crowd of indeterminable indie nonsense. Whilst the Pigeon Detectives, Viva Brother and Editors have all but faded away, a great collective of other bands from the same breakthrough period have undergone massive stylistic changes: the Maccabees went folk earlier this year, the View have upped their game and Hard-Fi are almost unrecognisable.

With the Enemy, though, their third studio album offers no such surprises.


The Enemy opt for the first route.

To a tedious degree.

I cannot form sentences to express the severity of my boredom and disappointment with this album.

It is a waste of your/my time. It's 12 repetitive songs. It's the Enemy. You'll know if you like it already. I'm not sure why I thought I would. It's not as if I even downloaded Music for the Masses.

It's just not a good sign when an album awakens you to all realms of soul-crushingly pointless phenomena. Think of this as the musical equivalent of watching 'This Morning' or changing a tyre.

Rating: 3/10
Highlights: ...
Avoid: young men with long hair

Artwork Watch: No. Just fucking no.
Up next: Hot Chip   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues, a review

Lady GaGa - ARTPOP

Icona Pop - Icona Pop