3D. Get out of my face.

It's not exactly a new craze. In fact, it failed spectacularly in the 50s. But with the continual bombarment of blockbuster epics such as Avatar, animated franchises such as Toy Story and a range of opportunistic gimmicks like Final Destination - 3D is most definitely back.

Looks good, doesn't it? No. No, without a pair of glasses this looks like a fucking blur. But if the media industries continue to go as they are presently, this'll be a regularity to those not wearing the appropriate headgear.

But what's wrong with it? Is it damaging cinema directly? No, not really. However - my beef with the idea is down to a variety of reasons.

Primarily - necessity. The whole point of it was that it was a novelty - something you can go "ooh" at, and don't particularly make a habit out of. Cinema and television have enjoyed almost (over) a century of magical moments - would Metropolis have been better with a few of those mechanical cogs sticking out? Would Goodfellas have benefitted from Joe Pesci's foot lunging out at you? Would Titanic have been any more profitable had the iceberg soared towards you? No - they would have distracted you at most.

The art of viewing and filming has flourished under the premise that these creations are projected onto a 2-Dimensional screen. There is absolutely no emotional, artistic or breathtaking result of 3D that 2D cannot achieve.

There's also a rather presumptious mistake in that those with eyesight difficulties cannot experience it. Or those with one eye. Granted, the latter category is a rarity but is the former?

Another issue is the cost of this bloody idiocy. At my local cinema you have to pay either a £5 deposit (change I would otherwise have rather spent on a drink or popcorn, thank you very much) that is refunded after the film, or keep them without your money back. Other cinemas offer free glasses [that must be returned] but at much higher ticket prices. This seems to just be ripe pickings for the artless and empty films (and with awful franchises such as Saw, Shrek and Pirates of the Caribbean getting involved, that's not set to change) to enjoy.

My main problem however is its outright presumption that everyone wants to go along with this fucking development and have an entirely 3D entertainment mainstream. I am certainly not ever going to purchase a 3D television. What is the fucking point? An extra £500 or so just so some text can appear to be "in the background"? Granted, I have only seen one 3D movie - Toy Story 3 - and perhaps it didn't exploit its potential: but that's the point entirely. It's a technology that is not at the peak of its abilities yet. It's currently a very touch-and-go area. And as things stand, I see no benefits.

Just fuck off. All of you.

Comments

  1. I watched a 3D dinosaur film when I was on holiday. It lasted approximately 5 minutes, and I had a bloody headache after it was done. I suffer from motion sickness and maybe it's connected.

    There's no way in hell I'm going to sit through a whole film in 3D, or buy a 3D telly.

    You're right. Not everyone wants it. And it's not just about the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point - I also had a slight headache during Toy Story 3 and whilst it's impossible to pinpoint as a result of 3D-viewing, I strongly suspect so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd think what with the sudden surge of 3D blockbusters it's totally unavoidable. yet somehow I'm able to say the last 3D movie I saw was at Disney World in 2004. When I was 8.

    It's quite an inconvenience tbh, I always feel like I'm missing out on spectacles like the photo in this article as I don't have a pair of 3D glasses :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues, a review

Lady GaGa - ARTPOP

Icona Pop - Icona Pop