Comedy

I'm not even going to try and make a pun-title given the failure of the "rainbow - bung(le) it in the bin" thing. Not sure what I was smoking there, sorry.

Formalities out of the way - attention was drawn this week to an episode of "Miranda" that I happened to have the misfortune of leaving my television on and open to such atrocities. If you're unfamiliar with the show, it's fronted by a Ms. Miranda Hart.



In researching her I've just discovered she was born in Torquay, the same as I. Well, the more you know. She's got a pretty impressive history of appearances; in shows such as French and Saunders, the Vicar of Dibley (whether that's something commendable I shan't say), wrote for Smack the Pony and appeared on Celebrity Fame Academy and Have I Got News For You (one such performance I witnessed, and believed she was rather funny in).

But it's her very own vehicle that draws my attention. It's certainly drawn others - she won the RTS award for outstanding comedy performance for it, and was also nominated for a BAFTA.

So...the verdict? Well it makes My Family look innovative.

It comes from the same line of laughter track-driven, predictable, formulaic factory line of sitcoms that the BBC are so eager to churn out: My Family, Dinnerladies, Little Britain, Catherine Tate Show, Outnumbered...these are the few that spring to mind due to my tendency to avoid such shows like the plague. There're others: that one with Nicholas Lindhurst...and erm...everything Caroline Quentin's been in.

These kinds of shows are documented perfectly in the piece of genius that is "Extras".



Above is a spoof of the kind of cheap merchandise and easily-accessible laughs that these shows offer. Catchphrases that become annoying within days, traded around playgrounds and workplaces by the very bottom of society. Of course these are ripe for merchandise - I remember encountering these talking birthday cards with such catchphrases supposedly being a humorous greeting for a loved one.

The crime of course isn't limited to just the BBC. Channel 4 continually recommissions The IT Crowd. US networks somehow have room for Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men.

So you can understand my frustration. There're countless shows shoved onto the sidelines because of these - and often go unnoticed. Some of the best comedies in years have been rather negligible ratings hits: The Office, Spaced, Peep Show to name but three.

IMPROVE YOUR STANDARDS, PEOPLE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues, a review

Lady GaGa - ARTPOP

Icona Pop - Icona Pop