Mikal Cronin - MCII


Right, time to play catch-up. May's release of MCII - you may have guessed from the title that it's San Franciscan Mikal Cronin's second release - half-passed me by. In the sense that I downloaded the track Weight and sort-of forgot to get everything else. I'm not even sure why I even downloaded that, since I'd never heard of the guy and have never tried Ty Segall (the guy for whom Cronin plays as bassist from time to time, and with whom has released an album), although it's safe to assume that Pitchfork played some part in the decision.

It's ok though reviewing albums 6 months after they were released, right? Right? Even if it's too late to be recent, and too early to be reflective? Good.


Ah, now this is why I was hooked. 'Weight' saunters along romantically as a garage-pop gem (much in the same vein as what made Yuck's debut so endearing). Pianos, violins and bells all create a pretty gorgeous background for Cronin's honest and relatable lyrics (about reluctant adulthood, taking life day by day and urging himself to "be bolder") - themes that continue onto 'Shout it Out'. "Shit goes on and on and on and on and on", the chorus goes, as he takes solace in a love interest to "take my head up off the ground/ now that's a place I want to be". The structures and arrangements on MCII are often simple - sometimes a little too simple, as on the plodding 'Am I Wrong?' - but make for instantly loveable jams elsewhere. Take 'See It My Way' and its blistering guitar solo; you couldn't ask for a more potent plea for the title.

More pop than anything, the garage element of Cronin is sometimes done away with completely: 'Peace of Mind' is as straightforward an acoustic guitar-led bit of romantic bother can be, whilst 'Don't Let Me Go' is as poignant and beautiful as it can be. Posing those awkward questions like "is it my fault?" and imploring the ex to "shine bright above me" is a pretty damning insight of what Mikal Cronin thinks of himself, but by the closing 'Piano Mantra' there's a little ray of sunshine: "sink my roots and I'll be gold/ the open arms are giving me hope". That token final-song-of-the-album-happening-to-be-beautiful moment totally happens, too, but it's not too hammy.

In fact, for me the lasting impression of the album is one of happiness. 'Turn Away', for example, is insane perky and has shades of the Cure's more jangly, cutesy moments, but the lasting lyrical impression is of a man facing his shit and resolving to move forward. Even if it means repeating the same mantras, as on another happy-go-lucky-sounding bit 'I'm Done Running from You', or 'Change' (which contains just a small hint of Music Go Music, 2009's ABBA-inspired sideproject from Bodies of Water).


This is very, very enjoyable. Lovely.

Rating: 8/10
Highlights: Weight; Turn Away; See It My Way; Piano Mantra; Don't Let Me Go
Avoid: n/a

Artwork Watch: THERE IS NOTHING HERE
Up next: James Blunt  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues, a review

Lady GaGa - ARTPOP

Icona Pop - Icona Pop