Music in 2013: The Ten Best Artworks

 
 


If I'm honest, there haven't been many albums this year that have stood out in record stores or made me stroke my iPod with small fits of affection - out of their sheer appearance, at least. Here, I compile ten that're at least "quite pretty" and OH BOY ARE THEY.


#10 - "Nothing Was the Same" - Drake
I didn't go much on the album itself, with the exception of a few singles, but the way in which this double-whammy was parodied on t'internet was mildly amusing.
 


#9 - "Old" - Danny Brown
Is it a dig at Macklemore's Heist record? Is it a Napoleon reference? Either way, it's pretty bold ha ha ha ha hahaha hahaha ha.


#8 - "Paracosm" - Washed Out
It's a matter of time before this pattern is on a T-shirt I buy, I suppose.


#7 - "Long.Live.A$AP" - A$AP Rocky
Don't really consider myself a fan of him after how drawn out his breakthrough was and how 'meh' this album left me, but at least it stands out visually.


#6 - "Obsidian" - Baths
If I'm honest, then yes it does look like the front of an informational leaflet on fire prevention. But it's a pretty eye-grabbing representation of the gemstone's ominous colour.


#5 - "Big TV" - White Lies
I have resigned myself to them never making another good album again following 2009's To Lose My Life... but hey. Nice brushstrokes. (Terrible album name though).


#4 - "The Electric Lady (Deluxe Edition)" - Janelle Monae
The standard edition was just a bit of the leftovers of the Q.U.E.E.N. video, really, but this carried on that stand-out image from 2010 in all its androidy, Egyptian goodness.


#3 - "New" - Paul McCartney
All the best album covers have neon lights in the form of a connect-the-dots.


#2 - "Static" - Cults
.GIF Artworks are the future, surely.


#1 - "Acid Rap" - Chance the Rapper
Whether it's the lovely purple sunset, the odd constellations or the stained vest, I'm not sure, but this one stood out miles above the other 9 this year.


The moral of the story? Stick to black or blue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues, a review

Lady GaGa - ARTPOP

Icona Pop - Icona Pop